A Brief History

A Brief History

From our chartering on August 1, 1906 until the devastating fire on January 19, 1919, our meetings were held in the Masonic Temple located on the third floor of the American Block (now the site of the Sioux City Public Library).  Undaunted by the horrific loss of all properties and paraphernalia, the Spring Reunion began just four months later on May 29, 1919 at the Sioux City Auditorium (now KCAU TV) and continued there through the Spring Reunion of 1938.


On February 8, 1926, Epiphany Council #743, Knights of Columbus, opened their new $175,000 clubhouse and recreation center on the corner of 8th & Douglas Streets.  Following their two bankruptcies, the building sat empty from 1933 until the Scottish Rite purchased it for $40,000 in the Fall of 1937.  $140,000 in extensive remodeling at that time included a new roof, demolition of the swimming pool for remodeling into the kitchen, remodeling of the gymnasium into the lodge room and bricking up the second floor windows.

Our first reunion in the New Temple commenced on November 28, 1938 with 47 candidates.  In 1941, the adjoining structure north of the Temple was acquired and razed for the parking lot.  The stage in the auditorium was added in 1949 and the ‘new’ addition on the West side of the Temple, used to house properties and wardrobe, was completed in 1955.  This construction allowed the second floor to be remodeled into the social room that we use today.

The elevator serving all three floors of the Temple was added in 1988.  Today, our Temple is insured for $3,400,000.